Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pinterest Challenge- Ruffled Lampshade

Yay! Another project has been crossed off of my to-list and moved from my DIY Pinterest Board to my DONE! Board!! Today I am linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge hosted by Young House Love, Bower Power, The Great Indoors and Hi Sugarplum.

I have been wanting to liven up our bedside lamps in our master bedroom for a while now. I fell in love with a couple of ideas but none seemed to work out.
BEFORE
This ruffled burlap lamp shade caught my eye just a couple of weeks ago and I knew it would be the perfect project for this challenge.
Tatertots & Jello
Terra, from Mama Says Sew, gave a great tutorial on Tatertots &Jello that was easy to follow and I was able to complete it mostly in one night (had I not had to make a run to Hobby Lobby for some more burlap!)

I had everything on hand for this project. I started with my old lampshade, 1.5 yards of burlap (I really needed about 2 yards), glue gun and glue sticks and a pair of scissors.

I started by wrapping my lamp shade in burlap. It is by no means perfectly wrapped- I should have given myself a little more wiggle room on the top, bottom and sides but it all gets covered up in the end so it didn't really matter.

I cut four inch strips of the remaining burlap and ironed them in half making two inch wide double strips.

Then I placed a inch or two of hot glue on the folded edge of the strip and glued it to the lampshade in a squiggle pattern.
I continued doing this with every strip (making sure each ruffle was a little different) all the way around the lampshade... until I ran out of burlap!!
This is where I had to make a run to Hobby Lobby. I think I might have ruffled a little tighter than my inspiration lampshade did meaning I used more of my fabric quicker. I used about four more strips, close to a half yard more, to finish it!

I started to worry that with the four extra inches added around the shade that it would somewhat dwarf my lamp but I love how the shade stands out!

It is so pretty and I love it both with the lamp off and on!!

I realize this has been done by quite a few bloggers in the past but it is new to me and I couldn't be happier with the new addition to our bedroom! I'm am starting another Anthropologie inspired lampshade project soon- be sure to stop back by and see how it turns out!!

Check out all the other Pinterest Challenge projects at Young House Love, Bower Power, The Great Indoors and Hi Sugarplum.

7 comments:

  1. This turned out so gorgeous Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! Oh my word, seriously, cutest lamp ever!!

    ~em at <a href="http://emily022589.blogspot.com>small girl, big world</a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how pretty! Love the picture of it lit up, it looks great! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your version, Laura! You did such a fantastic job with the ruffles! : )

    And I would LOVE it if you'd stop over and share this at Feature Friday
    FREE-FOR-ALL, which just went live!

    Can't wait to see you there!

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/03/feature-friday-free-for-all-12.html

    P.S. New follower! Great blog! : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! This would look great in an adult or little girl's "grown-up" room. Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips